A new report from the EPA economic development by making our cities more livable and sustainable. Below is an excerpt that roughly parallels AIA Communities by Design’s 10 Principles for Livable Communities.
Based on the experiences of communities around the nation, the Smart Growth Network developed a set of ten basic principles to guide smart growth strategies:
• Mix land uses.
• Take advantage of compact building design.
• Create a range of housing opportunities and choices.
• Create walkable neighborhoods.
• Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place.
• Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas.
• Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities.
• Provide a variety of transportation choices.
• Make development decisions predictable, fair, and cost effective.
• Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions. Source: Smart Growth Network. Smart Growth Principles.
December 2012 Report from the EPA’s Office of Sustainable Communities